Welcome to Angers !
Découvrez le territoire avec
Welcome to Angers !
Set in the heart of the region Pays de la Loire, and very Europe-minded, France’s 17th city enjoys a good reputation as a desirable place to live. According to the Express magazine, Angers even offers the highest quality of life to its residents compared to other big french cities (septembre 2012).
• Population: 147 571 (City of Angers in 2010), 283 000 (Angers Loire Métropole urban area of 33 municipalities).
• 300 km from Paris, 90 km from Nantes, 110 km from Tours.
• Motorways: A11 Nantes-Paris, A85 Angers-Saumur, A87 Angers/Les Sables-d’Olonne
• High-speed rail: 1hr30mins from Paris, 3hrs 40mins from Brussels, 4 hrs from Lyons, 5hrs 45 mins from Marseille.
• Angers Loire Airport: flights to London, Tunis, Palma and Nice.
• 24 city bus routes and 1 tramway.
• Economy : 14 000 companies, 141 000 employments, 3 strategic branches (Plants, professionnal electronics, health-biotech-pharma), 1 world competitive cluster for plants, 4 developing sectors (green economy, cultural and creative economy, digital industry and tourism)
• University : 4 campus, 30 000 students (State university, Catholic university of western France, High School of Agriculture - ESA-, Business High School - ESSCA-, Electronic High School - ESEO-, etc...)
• Research : 54 laboratories, 440 PhD students, international research center in cancer immunology, cardiovascular,metabolism,...
• Education : 107 pre-schools and elementary schools, 20 secondary schools, 17 colleges, 2 agriculture schools, Angers city institute.
• Health : University Hospital Center (CHU), Anjou private hospital, Western Cancer Institute (ICO)
• Culture : Le Quai (Public institution of cultural cooperation), CNDC (National Centre for Contemporary Danse), NTA (New Theatre of Angers- National Dramatic Centre of Pays de la Loire), Orchestre National des Pays de la Loire (ONPL), Music Conservatory, Fine Arts School, Le Chabada (Current Music Scene), Company Jo Bithume, 5 museums, 3 theatres, 3 cinemas, 10 libraries, 24 leisure centers for children.
• Festivals and events : European first film festival Premiers Plans (January), Made In Angers ( February), the Poets spring (March), Cinemas of Africa (April, biennial), Angers is moving sport event (May), Artaq festival of urban arts (June), Tempo Rives current music festival (July, August), Accroche-Coeurs street performances (September), Winter Suns Christmas event (December)
• Green areas : 550 hectares of green spaces giving a percentage of 40m2 per resident, 5000 hectares of remarkable natural spaces in the Angers area, 300 000 plants produced yearly in municipal glasshouses, 72% of green spaces maintained without pesticides...
• Sport : 1 nautical base and 1 rowing base, 35 000 members of sport federations, 150 clubs, 6 swimmingpools, 54 tennis courts, 1 ice rink, 1 velodrome, 6 places for "boule de fort"...
• Business and Tourism : Tourist Information Centre, Convention Bureau, 30 hotels (2234 beds), 5 hosting centres (696 beds), 1 camping place 4**** (163 places), congress centre (1240 seats and 11 conference rooms), exhibition centre (28 000 m2), 1 concert hall (7500 persons)
• International relationships : Angers is twinned with Bamako (Mali), Haarlem (Netherlands), Pisa (Italy), Osnabrück (Germany), Seville (Spain), Södertälje (Sweden), Wigan (England) and Austin (USA, Texas)